Mobetah in St. Pete Beach Florida just prior to leaving for the Northwestern Caribbean

Mobetah in St. Pete Beach Florida just prior to leaving for the Northwestern Caribbean

About Us

Until his retirement, Bill Was a Landscape Architect for the National Park Service and Pat was a Physical Therapist.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Arriving In Guatemala

After clearing out of Belize at Big Creek, we left Placencia and sailed out to Ranguana Cay. We spent two days and nights on a mooring ball at Ranguana Cay. Ranguana Cay is a private island with a resort and restaurant. We didn't go ashore, however, we snorkeled the reefs around the cay. Once we left Ranguana Cay, we motored down about 5 miles to Tom Owens Cay, where we anchored and once again snorkeled the reefs. Better coral and fish here than at Ranguana Cay. After only one day at Tom Owens Cay, we picked up the anchor and headed out across The Bay of Honduras towards Guatemala.

After motorsailing about 40 miles, we arrived at Cabo Tres Puntas in Guatemala, where we were to meet our good friends Rodney and Katrina Warren onboard Angelina. It was hot, and there was almost no wind, however we kept cool by swimming and touring the coastline in the dingy. Rodney and Katrina arrived the afternoon of the second day, and it was good to see them again. Of course, happy hour, food and drink followed their arrival.

The following morning, we picked up the anchor and headed to Livingston, Guatemala to check in. We arrived about 10:30am, dropped anchor and waited for Raul (our agent) and the immigration, agriculture, doctor, navy and customs people to show up at our boat for check in.

The check in team soon showed up, asked a few questions, smiled for pictures and left. We were to go into Raul's office later and pick up our papers and make the proper payments in Guatemala Qs, of course. And of course, when Rodney and Bill went into town, the only ATM machine in town was broken. Between Rodney and Bill, they got enough US dollars together, and Raul agreed to convert the currency for them. Once they returned to Mobetah and Angelina, we headed up the Rio Dulce toward our new home port at Monkey Bay Marina (about 20 miles up the river).

About 5 miles up the river, we turned into Texan Bay and anchored off Texan Bay Marina. The first thing we noticed when we pulled into Texan Bay was the flag pole with a Confederate flag and Pirate flag flying. As we anchored we noticed that our old buddy boats, Wind Shift (our New Zealand friends) was anchored in the Bay and New Horizons was tied up at the dock.

We had drinks and dinner at Texan Bay Marina and headed up the river the following morning. We went through Golfete Bay, which was very beautiful, before arriving at Monkey Bay Marina.

We have now settled into life at Monkey Bay and will soon travel to Guatemala City and Antigua for a week or so. More on that in a future post.