Thursday, August 28, 2008
Rebuilding The Watermaker
When we first built the watermaker, several years ago, we used a 1 1/2hp electric motor, a 2 gpm high pressure pump and a 21" membrane. The system worked well and produced about 10 gph of pure fresh water. Had we used a 40" membrane the system probably could have produced about 16gph or had we used a smaller motor and smaller high pressure pump the system would have produced less water however, it could have operated using our inverter. We had to remove the watermaker while replacing the leaking fuel tank so we decided to rebuild it using a smaller motor and high pressure pump while it was out.
While the fuel tank was being replaced, we have managed to purchase a new Baldar 1/3hp motor (explosion proof) for $109.00 and a stainless steel Cat pump (SF05SEEL) for $125.50 (both were purchased off ebay). The specifications for the new system (motor, high pressure pump and membrane) should be very similar to HRO's Seafari mini 170 system and produce about 7 gph.
We had new high pressure hoses fabricated by the local Motion Industries and have now reinstalled the watermaker into the boat.
In addition, we will install a new 21" filmtec membrane just before we leave on our next cruise.